Fire at laundromat

The Fairfield Fire Department was dispatched Wednesday to Dexter Laundry?s Easy Wash Laundry on West Burlington Avenue upon hearing reports of smoke coming from inside.

When the firefighters arrived at 3:31 p.m., they identified the smoke coming from the rear of the building above the dryers. Upon further investigation, flames were discovered and put out immediately with water cannons. No injuries were reported.

The cause of the fire was determined to be an electric light fixture in the ceiling.

Fire Chief Scott Vaughan said a patron doing their laundry smelled smoke, turned around, saw smoke in the ceiling, and called the fire department.

The fire was extinguished by 4 p.m., and firefighters were back at the station by 5:15 p.m. Fifteen firefighters were at the scene.

Vaughan added, ?I?m unsure of the cost of the damage in dollars, but it will affect our community because it?s the only laundromat we have. I know Dexter will do everything they can to get this place up and running again.?