The Fairfield Beautification Commission and the Historic Preservation Commission selected John and Coralee Dey to receive the Historic Preservation Rose Award for their home at 608 S. Main St. The Deys purchased the house six years ago and have spent three years renovating it.
The Deys? house was originally built in 1895 for John Roth, a prominent merchant and the first president of Iowa State Bank. In 1894, The Fairfield Ledger wrote that ?J.E. Roth has purchased ... a little more than three acres of ground in all. It is one of the best located tracts of land in the city and will make an admirable site for the handsome and comfortable home which Mr. Roth will erect upon it the present season.? In 1895, The Ledger wrote ?J.E. Roth has resumed work on his new residence on South Main Street. It will be a pressed brick veneered structure, commodious in its proportions and handsome in its architecture.?
The Deys were able to maintain the original architectural features of the house while updating it to be comfortable for their family. One discovery they made was an original stained glass window that had been covered with drywall. They restored a north entry that was used for arriving guests as they entered by carriage, as well as a third-floor ballroom.
Pictured are Paula Armstrong (Beautification Commission), Coralee Dey, Loren Town, (Beautification Commission), John Dey.