Trojans split triangular with Bluejays and Chargers

The Fairfield wrestling team split a triangular match with Bondurant-Farrar and Chariton Thursday night at FHS.

In the first dual, the Trojans went back and forth the whole way with Bondurant before losing 37-36 in the final three matches of the night.

To start, Mason Allen pinned Aiden Lewis 3:32 into the opening match at 126 pounds, giving Fairfield a 6-0 lead. After Stetson Spees lost a 10-2 Major Decision at 132 pounds, the Trojans still led 6-4. Zach Barnes followed with a :50 second pin at 138 pounds, extending the advantage to 12-4 for Head Coach Steve Miller?s squad.

Bondurant earned back-to-back victories at 145 and 152 pounds to take a 13-12 lead for the first time on the night, but Caleb Heisel at 160 and Carter Spalla at 170 answered with consecutive decisions of their own, giving the Trojans the lead again, 18-13.

Bondurant won with a pin at 182 pounds, while reclaiming the lead 19-18. The see-saw then started with Aidan Pohren, who returned the Trojans to the top of the pile with a forfeit at 195.

That was followed by a forfeit in favor of the Bluejays at 220, giving B-F a 25-24 edge, before Brendon Lunsford received a complimentary six points himself to give favor to the Trojans headed into the final three matches, 30-25. 106 and 113 both went against Fairfield with Cohyn Roach and Jonah Cooper both falling in the second period of their respestive matches, giving Bondurant 12 points and a seven point advantage headed into the last match of the dual, 120 pounds. With a victory over the Trojans already in hand, the Bluejays Sam Oberbrockling tried stretching the margin of victory for Bondurant, but ran into Fairfield senior Gannon Courtright who pinned him in :50 flat.

Final score was 37-36 and Coach Miller talked about lost opportunities.

?We gave that dual away! We gave up a major decision with three seconds left in a match. We had a guy on his back and we should have pinned him and we let him go with one second left. We had numerous opportunities to put the nail in the coffin, but we didn?t do it. I?m actually pretty frustrated with not putting that dual away because we were the better team, and they beat us because we didn?t take care of business.?

Things were a lot different in the second dual, this time the opponent was Chariton and the result was a 57-21 victory.

It started with a 6-0 advatage when Zach Barnes received a forfeit at 138 pounds. Chariton then got on the board with a decision at 145, cutting their deficit to 6-3. The Chargers then captured the lead for the first time with a fall 1:07 into the 152 match, giving them a 9-6 edge.

The match of the night came at 170 pounds, after Caleb Heisel pinned his opponent 2:21 into the 160 pound contest, giving the lead back to the Trojans 12-9.

The Fairfield 170 pounder, Carter Spalla, got on the board first with an escape with just :05 left in the second period for a 1-0 advantage. He then almost pinned his opponent with just 95 seconds in the match, instead receiving two points for a reversal and taking a 3-1 lead. Leading 3-2 with less then :30 remaining, Spalla rejected several last second attempts to score by his opponent, holding on for the win and extending the Trojans lead to 15-9.

Coach Miller talked about the big match for Spalla.

?Those close matches are always fan favorites.? He continued, ?Carter did a really good job of being the aggressor the entire match and took most of the shots. He stayed in good position and wrestled a really smart match there. He didn?t get out of position and he took care of holding the guy off there late in the match and getting the win.?

Wyatt Baker received a forfeit at 182, stretching the lead to 21-9 for the Trojans. After losing 12 points to the Chargers who received a fall and a forfeit themselves, Fairfield won the remaining six matches by either fall or forfeit between Lunsford at 285 pounds and Spees at 132.

The final score was 57-21 and Miller got the win expected earlier in the night.

?That?s the way the first dual should have gone to be honest with you, we just didn?t take care of the opportunities. In the second dual, we took care of every opportunity and it was a blowout. It?s just a mental thing. I talked to the kids after the first dual and our thing is that you have to own it. You have to own your match and you have to do your part and be responsible for getting all the points you can get and helping your team get the win.?

The Trojans will now relax for 4-5 days for the holidays and then return to work over the break in preparation of their first match of 2018, a home triangular versus Keokuk and West Hancock on Jan. 4.