Fire damages outbuilding

Three local fire departments were called to put out a structure fire on the outskirts of Fairfield Thursday afternoon.

The fire occurred at 2:55 p.m. at 1759 200th St., less than a mile west of Fairfield. The fire reportedly started when a block heater short-circuited when it was connected to a combine. The electrical short started the combine on fire as well as an outbuilding and the machinery inside. No injuries were reported.

According to the Jefferson County Assessor’s website, the property is registered to Thomas Krumboltz.

Fairfield Fire Department was the first on the scene, and called for mutual aid from the Batavia and Packwood fire departments. The fire was extinguished with water, and about two hours later, the Fairfield Fire Department was back in service.

Batavia Fire Department sent one tanker, one pumper and four firefighters. Packwood Fire Department sent two tankers, one pumper and 11 firefighters.