Trial delayed for Ottumwa shooting suspects

The trial of two Ottumwa men, accused of injuring one person and then engaging in a shootout with police, has been delayed from January until April.

Michael Paul Bibby, 32, of Ottumwa, and Dalton Wayne Cook, 23, of Ottumwa and formerly of Fairfield, have been charged with attempted murder for an incident that occurred Aug. 3 in Ottumwa. Their trial was originally scheduled for Jan. 15, but has been moved to April 30.

Both men have pleaded not guilty to the 11 counts of attempted murder they are charged with, and have waived their right to a speedy trial.

Bibby was injured in the exchange of gunfire with police. A third suspect, David Roy White, 35, of Fairfield, was killed by police during the shootout near Liberty Elementary School in Ottumwa.

The incident in question occurred at 1:42 p.m. Aug. 3 when the Ottumwa Police Department received a 911 call of a person being shot with a rifle at 831 S. Lillian St. in Ottumwa. That person was transported to a hospital and treated for their injuries.

Witnesses reported that three male subjects dressed in dark clothing, wearing masks, and armed with rifles, had shot the male victim, and had run toward the Wapello County Rural Fire Department.

Responding officers traveled behind the Wapello County Rural Fire Department and some went to the parking lot of Liberty Elementary School to prevent the subjects from reaching the school. The three subjects were spotted running through a drainage area located between the school parking lot and a berm south of the school, less than 300 feet from the school.

According to Wapello County Attorney Gary E. Oldenburger’s press release issued after the event, the subject armed with the rifle, later identified as Michael Paul Bibby, leveled the rifle and began firing at an Ottumwa Police Department vehicle operated by Police Chief Tom McAndrew. Chief McAndrew then steered his vehicle to the far side of the berm to take cover, and Bibby fired again, shooting out the passenger window of McAndrew’s vehicle.

A shootout between law enforcement officers and the three men ensued. No officers were injured in the shootout.